Body Rolling

Body Rolling
This is how we do!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spice Up Your Life!


No, this isn't about scantily clad women singing bad pop songs. I'd like to talk about two other spices that have much more talent;)

Cinnamon and Turmeric are two power house spices that I reccomend to my clients on a regular basis. Not only do they give your food a boost of flavor, they also add healing properties.
Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which is great for that post work-out soreness. According to a study published in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, turmeric along with capsaicin (from red pepper) lowered inflammation, and other research has demonstrated decreased joint pain. If that's not enough to get you sprinkling it on your food, a study the Journal of Nutrition, showed that curcumin, the compound that gives turmeric its yellow color, may hault the growth of new fat cells. How's that for talent? Turmeric should get its own movie deal too.

As for cinnamon, it has powerful sugar balancing properties and has even been called "nature's blockbuster diabetes drug." Richard Anderson, Ph.D a researcher with the U.S. Department of Argriculture, has studied the antidiabetic effects of cinnmon for twenty year and NOTHING outperformed the tasty spice in increasing insulin sensitivity. Just so all of ya'll know, when you consume sugar, your body becomes inflammed and holds on to water, toxins, and fat. (BAD) When you supplement with spices like turmeric and cinnamon, it keeps blood sugar levels balanced and inflammation reduced. (GOOD) I like to eat them together in my oatmeal (AKA Spelt) and I find they complement each other nicely that way. I feel like I'm nourishing my body and I feel full and satisfied until lunch time.

On that note, I've posted a recipe for my Bangin' Oatmeal below. Remember it's gluten free ^-^

1 cup water
3/4 cup of spelt oatmeal flakes
1/4 cup of coconut milk
1/2 tbsp of psyllium husks (don't add too much otherwise you'll be eating an oatmeal brick:)
1 tsp of turmeric
1tsp of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
10 drops of vanilla extract
Sea Salt and Stevia to taste

Bring water to boil. Add spelt flakes and wait one minute. Add all ingredients together, allow to cool for a minute or two and then enjoy.

It seriously takes me like 7 minutes to make. Yum! ^-^

Enjoy in good health!
Your Trainer,
Erin Is Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment